Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Okies once again...


We're all pretty familiar with the stories of how Okies went by the thousands along Route 66 to California during the Dust Bowl, and even up until the 1940s and 50s, to find work and a better way of life for their families. My dad's family was one of them, and my dad, the fourth of 11 children, was even born in Bakersfield, Calif. From what I can remember from family stories, my grandpa was a migrant worker, and the family lived in Bakersfield for just a couple of years. Here's a picture of my dad's family when he was a kid. Not sure if this was in Cali or Oklahoma, but it definitely paints a picture of the times.

For the last few years, there has been a lot of talk about a "reverse migration" though... A migration of Californians coming back to Oklahoma. Cost and quality of living are part of it, but some also cite a desire to get back to their roots. Heck, I even gained a next door neighbor from the trend! Here's the latest story from USA Today:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/2010-10-12-oklahoma12_CV_N.htm

Now I must admit... I do have reservations about this alleged trend. My grandpa on my mother's side always told me that when all the Okies moved to California, it raised the IQ of both states. Yeah, so maybe that was a Will Rogers quote, but so what. :-) Still sounds like solid info.

2 comments:

  1. I saw that article and Tweeted it. Very interesting that people from California are seeking better in Oklahoma. If you are more interested in Oklahoma-specific news, OU's Gaylord College has a webzine by students called Routes. This semester they are publishing articles about the elections (October issue), Muslims in Oklahoma (November issue) and Poverty in Oklahoma (December issue). Check it out at routes.ou.edu. Let me know if you see anything of interest!

    ReplyDelete